This is exactly what I’ve been doing recently. Mainly in the form of learning which has then led to me taking action!
I’ve certainly realised that I need to look after number one so that I can be in the best position to look after and help others. It’s something I’ve been telling my clients for a long time now and I honestly thought that I was applying it to myself as well but actually… I was falling short of the mark.
I was succumbing to the same things that hold my clients back… putting others first. I rarely prioritise my own self care and often put other things first thinking:
– I’ll just grab a snack, I can make a healthier meal tomorrow
– I’ve not got time to walk today I’ll pop out in the car today
– I’ll just stay up and watch…. I’ll go to bed earlier tomorrow.
While I’ve been learning about food, exercise, sleep and rest I have come to realise that I’ve only been doing a little bit more than paying lip service to giving these areas the attention that they deserve.
Let’s be honest…it’s so easy to do this, especially when we don’t really know what we actually need to do to take better care of ourselves. That’s where the research and learning comes in.
I’m happy to say that I have been making changes recently. For example,
– I know I need better quality sleep so I’m taking action:
– I’ve created a charging station for electronic items away from the bed,
– I’m looking at ways to reduce the light in the bedroom,
– The cats are being shut out over night (Bramble has a habit of waking us/me at 3am),
– I’m getting up earlier so that I’m tired at bedtime
– I’m watching less tv in the evening and going back to reading which help ease me into sleep.
There’s other areas I’m looking into aswell:
– Drinking more water and less caffiene
– Eating more fruit and vegetables
– Walking more
– Less alcohol and sugar
– Setting myself up with the tools I need to be comfortable/productive.
This last one means that I’ve set myself up with a bullet journaling system to track my new habits and I’ve got a great new laptop tray to help me sit more comfortably when I’m working away from my desk.
I’ve also got to tripod for my phone to try to encourage me to record some videos to share … but I’ve yet to pluck up the courage. We’ll leave that on the work in progress list for the time being.
If you were to take some time today to think about what YOU need to set yourself up for success and to take better care of yourself, what would you need to do differently? Have you stopped to think about what you need to be able to move forward as your best self? It really is worth the investment.